Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s New Year’s eve speech saluted people for enduring hardship for the common cause of cleansing society of black money. He pointed out the benefits of demonetization and again explained why such a drastic step was necessary. Modi announced a host of decisions to uplift the weaker section of the society. Couple of housing schemes, easy credit for farmers and businessman, enhanced one time money for pregnant women and greater interest for senior citizens was announced by the Prime Minister.
PM Modi says BHIM app has been launched to promote digital transactions. Modi stresses on clean up of political process and again repeats his plan of holding assembly and lok sabha elections today.
He says people should be inspired by Mahatma Gandhi and look to fight against all societal evils.
PM says there is no reason why our country should be left behind.
Main Schemes anounced by PM are:
- 8% interest on senior citizen’s fixed deposit amount.
- Government to pay Rs 6000 to pregnant women for their balanced diet, vaccination etc. The amount will be directly deposited to their bank accounts.
- Under Pradhan Mantri Yawas Yojana, for making house in urban areas, 4% discount will be given for home loan upto Rs 9 lakh and 3% for home loan upto 12 lakh. For rural areas, 33% more homes will be made.
- NABARD will now give loan at a cheaper rate and govt will pay for the loss NABARD endures. Thus farmers will get loan at a much cheaper rate.
- Kisan credit cards will be converted to Rupay cards.
- Govt has also taken some decisions for benefit of MSME
- Credit guaranty for small businessmen will be increased from Rs 1 crore to Rs 2 crore. Loans taken from NBFC will also be covered in this.
[Article adapted from DNA]
Full address of Prime Minister: